Rec League Umpiring
If you've played Softball and are currently in Grade 8 or older, you now have your chance to go behind the plate. Each softball season we are fortunate to use “local” umpires for our games.
If you played for NGSoftball, then you know that we love and support our student umpires. Think back and remember how well the players and coaches treated the umpires in our league. All we ask is that you show up on time, get and keep the games moving along and make the best calls that you can. This is a great opportunity to be on the other side of plate and to make a little spending money!
Our players and their families will greatly appreciate your participation. Veteran and New umpires alike, we hope your schedule will allow you to umpire with us this season. We will send an email nootification in February with specific dates and times. In general, this is the schedule:
NGSoftball Umpire ORIENTATION Meeting in early April when you'll learn what it takes to umpire for Newton Girls Softball; game rules (before attending please review our rules for each grade division from our website), how to handle many different situations; determine which fields are most convenient for you; fill-out ASA umpire registration/insurance form; ask your questions and we will try to answer them all.
2022 Game Days
The season runs from April 24 – June 12 (No games Memorial Day Weekend)
- Wednesdays @ 5:45 pm (grade 6-8)
- Thursdays @ 5:45 p.m. (grade 4/5)
- Fridays @ 7:00 pm (one grade 6-8 game at Albemarle "Cole" under the lights)
- Sundays @ 3:00 p.m. (grade 4/5); @ 5:00 p.m. (grades 6-8)
There is a New Pay Scale
- $30 per game: "1st year NGS umps"
- $35 per game: returning NGS umps; post-high school umps
- PLUS a $5 per game bonus for perfect attendance (payable at the end of the year)
Questions for YOU to consider
- do you have transportation to and from games.
- which day(s) of the week can you absolutely COMMIT to.
- are there 1 or 2 “known” exception(s) to your preferred day(s), due to a previous commitment that you cannot change.
- what grade level are you comfortable umpiring (we have to determine our comfort-level as well).
- if asked (and available) would you like to do 2 games on Sundays and/or Saturdays at the same field
- do you know basic softball rules and are you willing to learn the very specific NGSoftball rules for each grade you will umpire (available on our web site)
erry if you would like to umpire this season - she will send you additional materials before the orientation meeting. Any questions before attending the April 3 orientation meeting please contact: Kerry Prasad, Umpire Coordinator -
If you love the game and have a good grasp of the rules, please consider umpiring with us this spring. We look forward to working with you.
Kerry Prasad - Umpire Coordinator
Doug Clott - Umpire Trainer